[cvsnt] Re: vendor branch and import problem

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Fri Feb 27 10:10:43 GMT 2004

Tony Hoyle wrote:

>> Aaaaargh! I do NOT lose any history. All the revisions are there on the
>> vendor branch where I want them. I wouldn't be doing it if I were
>> losing my
>> history everytime!
>>
> Of course you do...  If you been eg. 50 revisions to the file then you
> import the 'new' tree, then those 50 revisions are compressed into a
> single one when you reapply them - that's a loss of history (although
> the history is still technically available, it's not useful as it only
> refers to the old version).

Huh? I just took a look at one of the regularly imported files in our
repository (19 revisions on the vendor branch created solely using
Import, 2 on the trunk, 1 on an additional experimental branch off the
vendor branch) and I can access each and every single revision just as
if I had manually committed them. This does definitely not look like
lost history to me. I'm still misunderstanding what you're trying to
say, don't I?

Cheers,

--
Oliver