[cvsnt] Absolute newbie: Cannot agree on an authentication scheme (got '')

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Jan 5 08:08:29 GMT 2004

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 03:16:15 -0000, Bjørn Toft Madsen
<sunbeam60 at sunbeam60.net> wrote:

>Accordingly I figured I would alias some user names to get onto the system.
>
>However I get the following output:
>------------------------------------
>F:\>cvs passwd -a -r "Bjørn Toft Madsen" bjorn
>cvs [passwd aborted]: Can't authenticate - server and client cannot agree on
>an authentication scheme (got '')
>archive, but could only find
>http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2003-October/009048.html which doesn't
>really provide any clues.

1. If you want to use users from the passwd file then they will have
to use the :pserver: protocol. But I guess you knew this already.

2. I tested on my system by adding a real user account named "kalle
kula" and then issuing the commands like this:
C:\Temp>cvs passwd -a oscar -r "kalle kula"
Usage: cvs passwd [-a] [-x] [-X] [-r real_user] [-R] [-D domain]
[username]
        -a      Add user
        -x      Disable user
        -X      Delete user
        -r      Alias username to real system user
        -R      Remove alias to real system user
        -D      Use domain password

C:\Temp>cvs passwd -r "kalle kula" -a oscar
Adding user oscar at altair
New password: *****
Verify password: *****

As you can see the order of the added and real user seems important,
by first specifying the real user and then the cvs user it worked.
However, I did not get the same error message as you did and I did not
use an "exotic" character in the username either....

3. Check the cvs version by this command:
C:\Temp>cvs ver
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.11 (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.11 (client/server)

What do you see? Can you execute any cvs command at all?
Like cvs ls for example...

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)