[cvsnt] Mirroring

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Tue Jan 13 04:09:24 GMT 2004

> Does anyone know how to mirror or synchronize two CVS
> servers?  I found the
> DCVS project, which appears to be exactly what I need, but it
> only appears
> to work with Unix style systems, and I'm running on a Win
> 2000 machine.  Any
> thoughts?

CVS is file based, so you could superficially use file synchronization
software.  In the real world though, there will be trouble.

In most cases though, it shouldn't be necessary to have multiple CVS
servers.  CVSNT supports compression and is pretty fast anyway--There are a
number of CVS installations (mine included) who have developers in North
America and India checking in & out of the same repositories without
trouble.

You could still use a replicated CVS if you treat the replica as read-only,
which would be safe.  That would be the only replicated CVS[NT] that I'd
recommend (that DCVS looks interesting, I might consider it if I had large
user bases on both sides of the world).

Regards,

Glen Starrett