[cvsnt] Re: Mirroring

Ryan J Ollos ryno at apl.washington.edu
Tue Jan 13 23:45:46 GMT 2004

------------------------------

>Message: 4
>Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:00:11 -0800
>From: Erin Loy <ELoy at riverdeep.net>
>Subject: [cvsnt] Mirroring
>To: "'cvsnt at cvsnt.org'" <cvsnt at cvsnt.org>

>Hello,
>Does anyone know how to mirror or synchronize two CVS servers?  I found the
>DCVS project, which appears to be exactly what I need, but it only appears
>to work with Unix style systems, and I'm running on a Win 2000 machine.  Any
>thoughts?
>
>Thanks,
>Erin Loy

I really can't say whether this is a good idea or not, but i remember
reading in the FAQ for Unison (a mirroring tool) the following, with
respect to using Unison to mirror CVS servers:

"/Has anybody tried to use Unison in conjunction with CVS in order to
replicate a CVS repository for active development in more than one
geographical location at the same time? Do you forsee any issues with
trying to do such a thing, or do you have any tips as to how to get a
setup like that working?/

Unison and CVS can be used together. The easiest way is to replicate
your files with Unison but keep your CVS repository on just one machine
(and do a commit on that machine after each time you synchronize with
Unison, if files in that directory have changed).

More complex schemes are also possible (e.g., using a remote CVS server
and checking in from any host with one of the replicas), but should be
used with care. In particular, if you use a remote CVS server, it is
important that you do /not/ tell Unison to ignore the files in the CVS
subdirectory."

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
<http://www.cis.upenn.edu/%7Ebcpierce/unison/>