[cvsnt] taginfo execution problem...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Wed Jan 21 15:59:59 GMT 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:04:22 +0530, "Sastry D"
<sastry.ds at four-soft.com> wrote:

>Dear Sir,
>
>   In  CVS  I have choosen the option " Create Tag " for one folder then =
>i have given all the necessary entries.=20
>When Creating the Tag i am getting  the follwoing error.
>

> Report:
>
>=20
>"   The following Character String is too long"
>  <   Some data is displaying here >
> CVS rtag: pre-tag check failed
>CVS  [rtag aborted] : Correct the above errors first!
>
>I would be thankful to you if you send the solution for this .
>
>Thanks
>Sastry

This is because your folders contain too may files with too long names
and you are using a too old version of cvsnt.
It happens because with old cvs the files to tag in a folder were
listed on the command line to the taginfo script and Windows does not
accept command lines longer than about 4000 characters.
When I pointed this out to Tony he changed the way cvs operates so
that these files are now supplied on standard input and there is no
more any problems. :=)

So please update your setup to the latest stable cvsnt version on your
server (probably 2.0.14) and to WinCvs 1.3.14 on the clients.

/Bo Berglund