[cvsnt] CVS_PASSFILE

juha at tietolaite.com juha at tietolaite.com
Fri Jan 23 13:53:54 GMT 2004

I have to say that I disagree on this. When password is stored
on novell server there is no way getting password without
logging to novell first. If you can login as administrator to
Windows, you can get users passwords from registry. (perhaps not
directly but with little hacking)

This would be also useful feature when users use different
workstations along work day. All you have to do is to login to
novell and your cvs password is in your home drive again. No new
login to cvs required. (This is situation we have)

If there is no way doing this with cvsnt, we have to modify
source ourself or try some other client. That would be shame
cause cvsnt seems to be very nice client.

>>So is there any way on newest versions of cvsnt to set where
>>cvsnt stores user
>>>passwords instead of registry. In older versions of cvsnt
>>password was stored to
>>.cvspass file defined in CVS_PASSFILE environment variable. I
>>think that was good
>>option instead of registry.

>There hasn't been a version of cvsnt that used files almost
>since its
>earliest incarnation.

>>We would really like to upgrade cvsnt to newest versions but
>>storing password into a
>>file is more important fact in our case.

>The registry is far more secure than a file...

>The best way though is not to use passwords at all and connect
>over
>SSPI.

>Tony

-- Juha