[cvsnt] CVS_PASSFILE

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Jan 29 10:47:21 GMT 2004

juha at tietolaite.com wrote:

> I have to say that I disagree on this. When password is stored
> on novell server there is no way getting password without
> logging to novell first. If you can login as administrator to
> Windows, you can get users passwords from registry. (perhaps not
> directly but with little hacking)

If you can log on as Administrator to Windows passwords are
irrelevant...  you can change anything, install backdoors, keyloggers,
whatever.

> This would be also useful feature when users use different
> workstations along work day. All you have to do is to login to
> novell and your cvs password is in your home drive again. No new
> login to cvs required. (This is situation we have)

You only ever need to login once.  If you avoid pserver then you never
need to log in at all.  I strongly recommend avoiding pserver anyway.

If you want to make some custom code make a novellserver protocol that
authenticates over the novell network.  That'd be quite useful.