[cvsnt] Committing unmodified file after merge

Phil Richards news at derived-software.ltd.uk
Thu Jan 29 10:56:11 GMT 2004

On 2004-01-29, Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org> wrote:
>  There have been ideas to get around it from time to time, but none of
>  them seem to have worked 100%, and it's such a minor thing that it's not
>  worth worrying about.

Well, it may be minor, but it is rather annoying.
Given the style of development described (which is how we work, as well),
and a moderately sized team, it quickly results in *every* delivery of code
to the mainline causing *every* file to be bounced a revision - and the
majority of these changes are null-deltas.

And then when people merge from mainline-to-branch they too get a null-delta.

I accept that it doesn't cause any harm, but it does end up with a lot
of unnecessary cruft in the RCS files that make WinCVS graph, ViewCVS log,
and CVSGraph all a lot less useful because there is so much "null"
information.

Not that I'm saying that I came up with a correct coding solution, because
it probably wasn't :-)

phil
--
change name before "@" to "phil" for email