[cvsnt] Something bad happened to CVSNT

David Somers dsomers at trevezel.com
Mon Jul 12 17:51:08 BST 2004

Hi Carl,

> Are you using 2003 server without active directory?

No, 2003 with Active Directory.

> Are you using pserver?

No, SSPI.

> We went back to windows 2000 proffesional to host our repository because
> of the problems with LSA
>    (FAQ item) 2.2. Using pserver causes LSASS.EXE to fall over
> This may be fixed now, but we already switched back.

Life with the 2003 server seems quite stable at the moment. This was
actually the first time I had a service bring the machine to its knees...
guess I should think about installing some controls to limit the amount of
CPU that the service can use, so should things get fubar, at least there
will be enough free cycles to shutdown the service and do a soft restart.
Windows System Resource Manager would be ideal, but IIRC it only works on
the Enterprise or Datacenter variants :(

> If you are comming from a new machine, you might be using a different
> protocol than your other machines.
>
> Just a thought.

Thanks. I think its probably some obsure race condition in the cvsnt
server... if I get some time I'll fire up the debugger on the service and
try to track it down... at the moment I'm just having way too much fun
getting viewcvs up and running on the server :)

Greetings,

David