[cvsnt] Re: scripts loosing execute permissions

Lehman, Curtis CLehman at carrieraccess.com
Fri Jul 16 01:45:54 BST 2004

> > I have done all the commands through the command line, no
> gui. Could
> > CVS be defaulting to read only files somehow and resetting
> the permissions
> > because of that? Any other ideas greatly welcome.
>
> Simply touching the file won't change it -- AFAIK when CVS checks the
> null delta, the timestamp isn't even part of the equasion.
> What is the
> transcript of your actions?  The following works for me:
>
> 	cvs add runme
> 	cvs ci -m ""
> 	chmod ugo+x runme
> 	cvs ci -m "" -f runme
> 	ls -l runme
> 	<< lists file with x set>>
> 	rm runme
> 	cvs -q up
> 	<< lists file with x set>>
>
> Is there anything in a .cvsrc or server side cvsrc for you
> that might be
> overriding any of your settings?  What do you get with a "cvs
> version"?
>
> Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.41 (client/server)
> Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.41 (client/server)
>
> Note that this is all done on Linux, but I don't think that
> the RCS file
> cares where it is stored.  I can repeat against my other
> machine if this
> sequence doesn't work for you.
>
> --
> Glen Starrett

I tried what you suggested above. I also checked for a .cvsrc file.
I don't have a .cvsrc file in my home directory and there is nothing
in the cvsrc file on the server. Below is the trace of commands I
did and there output.

$ cvs version
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.41a (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.41 (client/server)
$ ll rg_config.sh
-rw-rw-r--    1 clehman  clehman        45 Jul 14 15:20 rg_config.sh
$ chmod +x rg_config.sh
$ vi rg_config.sh
$ ll rg_config.sh
-rwxrwxr-x    1 clehman  clehman        73 Jul 15 18:27 rg_config.sh
$ cvs commit -m "Commiting file after editing file and doing a chmod +x on
it." -f rg_config.sh
Checking in rg_config.sh;
/Engineering/lehman1/rg_config.sh,v  <--  rg_config.sh
done
$ ll rg_config.sh
-rw-rw-r--    1 clehman  clehman        73 Jul 15 18:27 rg_config.sh
$ rm rg_config.sh
$ cvs update rg_config.sh
U rg_config.sh
$ ll rg_config.sh
-rw-rw-r--    1 clehman  clehman        73 Jul 15 18:29 rg_config.sh