[cvsnt] cvs release bug!?

Michael Jensen michael.jensen at dnp-services.com
Fri Jul 16 02:20:17 BST 2004

First, I am new to CVSNT, so please be patient in case this issue is already
known and solved (I did check with the archive of this mailing list, but
could not find a solution).

There seems to be a bug in CVSNT 2.0.41a when checking out a module that is
part of (or contained in) another module.

For example do:

1. cvs checkout thisVendor/thatProduct
   works perfectly O.K.

2. Do not change anything! Just go to the next step.

3. cvs release -d thisVendor/thatProduct
   now it gets exciting:

First thing, CVSNT complains that (all) files have changed (they haven't):

You have [684] altered files in this repository.
Are you sure you want to release (and delete) directory
`thisVendor/thatProduct':

Second issue, even if I answer yes (i.e. 'y') to this question, knowing I
didn't drink too much lately, CVSNT does not release either of the two
highest-level directories (thisVendor and thatProduct, respectively). Both
also still contain their respective CVS directories. All other files and
directories (below thatProduct) are gone, though.

To clarify, this is what is left after 'cvs release -d':

thisVendor
+---CVS
|       Entries
|       Entries.Extra
|       Entries.Extra.Old
|       Entries.Log
|       Entries.Old
|       Entries.Static
|       Repository
|       Root

\---thatProduct
    \---CVS
            Entries
            Entries.Extra
            Entries.Extra.Old
            Entries.Old
            Repository
            Root

The behaviour described does not depend on the module. I could recreate the
problem with several different modules.

So, does anybody know if this is a bug or a feature? Is there a workaround?

Environment: Win XP Pro, "pure" CVSNT 2.0.41a (no GUI client), both client
and server on the same machine for now, protocol SSPI.

Thanks,
Michael