[cvsnt] CVS v. CVSNT

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Fri Jul 16 08:50:09 BST 2004

Siegfried Heintze wrote:
> Since I just went thru hell because of some glaring problems with the
> documentation (specifically the cvsnt chm file)

I'm not at all saying the docs are not in need of improvement/update but
I wonder what exactly those glaring problems you had were? AFAICT from
the discussion so far your main (sole?) problem was that you were mixing
Cygwin and CVSNT clients which as we now know won't work as Cygwin
simulates *ix-file system behaviour while CVSNT knows it's running on
Windows and expects files to behave like that too. The only allusion you
made to the docs in this context so far was that you were using the
Cygwin bash because the docs were continually referring to Unix-style
paths and shell syntax. Maybe this would be a bit more comprehensible if
you understand about the history of that document: It was forged
directly from the original "Cederqvist", i.e. the standard manual for
the original CVS which AFAIK was written when CVS still ran on Unix
only. After all CVSNT does run on *ix too so none of that is actually
wrong. What's missing in many places of the doc are extended
descriptions of Windows-specific stuff and differences or at least hints
to the effect that the shell syntax and standard paths would be slightly
different there or at least a clear note saying that all the examples
refer to *ix.

 > perhaps I should volunteer
> to correct them.

You are of course more than welcome to do so, even though I'm still not
sure there's anything to "correct". "Enhance" and "complete" would be
more like it I think.

Cheers,

--
Oliver