[cvsnt] Can't Update Checked Out tree

Merrill Cornish merrill.cornish at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 16 21:59:26 BST 2004

I am running the CVSNT 2.0.41a client, and I have come across what is either a bug or a vicious feature.

I understood that a CVS checkout had to be done into an "empty" directory, but I thought "empty" meant no files and certainly no CVS subdirectories.

However, I have discovered that if you check out into a directory tree that contains a FEW empty directories and belong to the CVS tree, then the checkout works, but the result is un-updateable.

For example, my CVS tree begins

     XXX\
          Installation\
          Documentation\
          Source\

If I checkout into a directory that is initially

     XXX\
          Source\

(but not files or CVS subdirectories), then all files and subdirectories of the Source\ directory are properly checked out witout any reported error, but the XXX\CVS\Entries files fails mentions only Installation\ and Documentation\, but not Source\.  As a result, when I attempt to do an update on XXX, I get massive "move file out of the way" messages as the update passes over the Source\ directory.

Is CVSNT supposed to work that way?

Merrill