[cvsnt] Tag entire repository

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Jul 22 17:05:43 BST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:51:46 -0600, "Aaron Kynaston"
<akynaston at novell.com> wrote:

>Can any one confirm this?
>
>The tag I'm setting in the repository should get set on every file
>regardless - it's a backup tag marking which revisions are under the
>backup - if some one is checking something in at the moment, I was under
>the impression directory locks were still in place, and that my rtag
>would wait until they've had their locks removed.

2.0..41 has directory locks, although IIRC they should get
progressively released anyway so you wouldn't normally notice it, plus
they're selective and don't block all operations.

2.0.50 has much finer granularity locking and is much less likely to
hit the problem.  Only the files that are being committed will be
locked so it's quite likely by the time your rtag gets around to
setting the tag then it'll be finished with (rtag itself doesn't
pre-lock the files like checkin does so it won't hold up any
operations).