[cvsnt] Re: cvsservice.exe takes 30+ minutes to start and stop

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Jul 27 23:32:54 BST 2004

Matt Magurany wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm new to this list and to cvs, and I'm trying to get a cvsnt server up
> and running. We've successfully installed it on Windows 2003 Server
> Enterprise Edition, but when when we start (or stop) the service, it
> takes about a half an hour to start (it stays in 'starting' state during
> that time) and I can't restart or stop it in the meantime.  Is this
> normal behavior? Has anybody else even had this problem?

I've seen it take a couple of minutes on a busy server, but never had
anything over that.

The service is an extremely simple program that listens on a port and
creates cvs.exe subprocesses on demand.  It polls for its stop signal
every 5 seconds, and all it does otherwise is accept connections and
create threads (which exist for the life of the cvs.exe process only).
There's almost nothing to go wrong... indeed there hasn't been a
verified bug report against it in two years :)

The startup is just a bunch of registry operations, plus initialise
winsock and bind to the local sockets... nothing that could take any
time (there's not even any reverse lookups in there).

Try running winsockxpfix and see if that fixes anything... it could be
something that's been installed that's holding it up (especially
antivirus or firewall).

Note that XP SP2 RC2 has a bug that the service triggers, causing mayhem
if you reboot with the lockserver and service set to autostart...
that's apparently fixed in the final release though (so an MS rep
assured me, anyway).