[cvsnt] Re: Permissions

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Jun 2 20:17:20 BST 2004

Shawn Haigh wrote:

> Glen
>
> I found out why I was getting the error... During a commit operation
> CVSNT makes a temporary copy of the module and file to be committed
> under the repository root, once the commit is complete this directory is
> removed.
>
> I had set NTFS permissions to Read only for the CVSUsers group under the
> repository root because I want to limit top level module creation.
> Obviously upon any commit CVSNT gives:
>
>  cvs [server aborted]: Can't make mirror directory: Permission denied

That's the atomic commits making the copy of the module directory.  You
can turn that off and it'll be back to normal operation.   You can
search on atomic commits to read the general comments on it.

> Therefore I have to give the CVSUsers group change rights under the
> repository root for commits to work. But I still want to be able to
> restrict the creation of new modules... any suggestions on how I could
> do this?

You could do either:

1) Turn off atomic commits

or

2) Change user permissions to be full for all repository module dirs and
restrict the top-level module creation with a script.  I think the
commitinfo event would do it, but I'm not sure--check the docs, it's
probably been done before.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett