[cvsnt] New to cvsnt - Having issues

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Jun 13 07:25:34 BST 2004

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 16:20:34 +1000, "Andrew Cooper"
<andrew.cooper at canberra.edu.au> wrote:

>I want to set up the CVS in such a way that I shave have 6 users and they
>each have their own module or repository, I want it so they can only check
>out theirs not everyone elses...wether that should be done in modules or
>each have their own repository I dont know, but I would like to get them to
>set it up and not have to create everything on the server first....

You can't escape from this work. If you are the admin then you have to
administrate also....

In the scenario you describe you should set it up as follows:
1) Decide on a repository top location such as C:\CVSREPOS
2) Set the CVSNT Repository Prefix to C:\CVSREPOS
3) In the CVSNT control panel applet create 6 repositories below the
top folder as:
  C:\CVSREPOS\USER1
  C:\CVSREPOS\USER2
  C:\CVSREPOS\USER3
  C:\CVSREPOS\USER4
  C:\CVSREPOS\USER5
  C:\CVSREPOS\USER6
CVS will ask you if these should be initialized, answer yes.
4) Now go to Windows Explorer and find these new folders and
rightclick them and select Properties/Security.
5) Set NTFS access permissions to these folders to *only* include
yourself and the respective user. Remove "Everybody"
6) Distribute an email to each user telling them how to access their
repositories using the CVSROOT setting :sspi:cvsserver:/USER1 for
user1 etc. By using the sspi protocol you don't need to do any further
administration because the users will be logged on using their Windows
login and then this is used to access the repositories.

Now each user can only read/write the files in his own repository, all
others are forbidden by Windows using the NTFS permission system.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)