[cvsnt] Re: Is it possible to access a CVSNT repository on a Linux from Eclipse on W2k using the W2k LAN authentication mechanism?

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Jun 23 19:39:50 BST 2004

http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/InstallationLinux

> - the repository will be accessed from the CVS client integrated in Eclipse
> on W2k

See http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/EclipseIde and search the archives here on
Eclipse.  There are some issues introduced by the Eclipse devs, but it
will work.  See the "impersonate unix CVS" option which was added to
help (I can't seem to locate it ATM, but I thought it was in the control
panel).

> Moreover I would prefer to use the W2k LAN authentication mechanism to
> access the repository to avoid having to maintain new passwords...
>
> 1) I am wondering if it is possible to do that with CVSNT ?

I believe so.

> 2) Because of Eclipse I think I have to use pserver but, as I would prefer
> not having to maintain a passwd file, I think there will be only
> "anonymous:" in the passwd file. Correct ?

Pserver can be used with the integrated *nix authentication (that's how
I'm using it), and with PAM you can (I believe, never tried) tell *nix
to authenticate against W2K.

> 3) I think it is not possible to take advantage of Active Directory on
> Linux without Samba  but I have read that there is some potential problems
> using Samba with CVSNT. Correct ?

Unknown.  You might be referring to using a Samba share to hold your
repositories for direct access via your network (BAD idea, let the
clients talk to CVSNT server and there's no problem) or by having a
Samba share hold your sandbox over your network (a bad idea, but with
small letters though :), there are a few small issues with that).

Hope this helps get you started.

--
Glen Starrett