[cvsnt] Re: Is it possible to access a CVSNT repository on a Linux from Eclipse on W2k using the W2k LAN authentication mechanism?

Torsten Martinsen torsten at tiscali.dk
Wed Jun 23 21:18:26 BST 2004

Glen Starrett wrote:

> Jonathan Jung wrote:
>
>> 3) I think it is not possible to take advantage of Active Directory on
>> Linux without Samba  but I have read that there is some potential
>> problems
>> using Samba with CVSNT. Correct ?
>
> Unknown.  You might be referring to using a Samba share to hold your
> repositories for direct access via your network (BAD idea, let the
> clients talk to CVSNT server and there's no problem) or by having a
> Samba share hold your sandbox over your network (a bad idea, but with
> small letters though :), there are a few small issues with that).

As Glen says, the problem is in using a Samba share to store either the
repository or the sandbox. There is no problem in having Samba and CVSNT
installed on the same machine - check the CVSNT Wiki for detailed
instructions for setting up Active Directory authentication.

(Strictly speaking, you don't need the Samba server (smbd) for AD
authentication - you only need winbindd, which is part of the Samba
package).

-Torsten