[cvsnt] CVSNT server backwards compatable with "normal" cvs (linux) client?

David Summers dsummers at digital-realms.com
Wed Jun 23 22:48:44 BST 2004

Hello,
   We just upgraded our Win2K CVSNT from 2.0.9 to 2.0.41a today and now
my "normal" linux cvs client cvs-1.11.17-2 on Fedora 2 can't do a
checkout of the repository.  It does the login correctly and says it
authenticates using pserver but then when I try to do the checkout or
update I get:

$ cvs -d ":pserver:David Summers at razorback:/i//Development/CVSRoot" co
BattleStorm/source/fslib_dis
cvs checkout: authorization failed: server razorback rejected access to
/i//Development/CVSRoot for user David Summers

This (using user "dsummers", see below) was working fine with CVSNT
2.0.9 on the Win2K server.  Am I forced to use the CVSNT client on Linux
now?

We upgraded our WinXP clients from WinCVS 1.2 to WinCVS 1.3B17-2 and
they all seem to work with the new CVSNT 2.0.41a server.

The only other thing that changed was I changed my CVSROOT/passwd file
to say:
David Summers:!AEGIS:cvsuser

   instead of what it used to say:

dsummers:x1ZituiaH0mjK:cvsuser

I would say that is the problem but all the WinCVS 1.3 clients are
working OK with that change.

I've spent the last 4-5 hours reading the manuals and searching back
through the mailing list archives but all references I've found so far
refer to using CVSNT client on linux rather than "normal" client.

Thanks for any clues.

    - David Summers