[cvsnt] CVSNT and Storage area networks

Andreas Schweigstill andreas.schweigstill at detewe.de
Thu Jun 24 13:27:11 BST 2004

Hi Andrew!

Andrew Corbett wrote:
 > In our case, I think the SAN will look like a network share.

No, a SAN is typically a Fibre Channel or iSCSI based network. The
"shares" on a SAN are called volumes and are block oriented devices.
 From a hosts view they nearly look like normal SCSI disks. A host can
either put a normal file system like UFS, FFS, ReiserFS on such volumes
or can use file system types which allow simultanous mounts from several
hosts, like Sistina GFS. So a certain file system can be visible on
multiple hosts without using NFS or Samba. The restriction which usually
apply to Samba shares are not applicable here.

Databases often use their own file systems on SAN volumes; for some
systems like Oracle there are also special features available, like
addional parity and consistency checking on _volume_level_, e.g. EMC's
Double Checksum for Symmetrix (DMX):
http://www.emc.com/products/software.jsp

 > Does anyone have any experience with using cvsnt with a SAN?

Sometimes SAN is confused with NAS. It is also possible to build a NAS
on a SAN, like EMC Celerra. The NAS server or gateway maps the SAN
volumes to NFS or Samba shares, so here the restrictions for CVS usage
may apply.

I also have started to migrate our disk storage to a SAN using an EMC
Symmetrix 3930 but I don't have experience with CVSNT on it yet. I hope
that it won't be affected by that migration. And I also must admit that
our production server is still using CVS instead of CVSNT...

With best regards
Andreas Schweigstill

--
Dipl.-Phys. Andreas Schweigstill
CorTech A/S ZN Kiel, Sedanstrasse 14b, D-24116 Kiel, Germany
E-Mail: andreas.schweigstill at detewe.de