[cvsnt] Re: Latest updates

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Jun 24 15:00:49 BST 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:06:56 +0200, Oliver Giesen <ogware at gmx.net>
wrote:

>AFAIHU, simply doing a cvs info cvsignore should not contact the server,
>should it? According to cvs -H info it's identical to cvs info -c
>cvsignore which should only "describe the client" and I can tell that it
>does indeed not try to contact any server. Still, it always returns a
>list that, if halved, reveals two completely identical lists which both
>consist of the built-in ignore list and the contents of my local
>~/.cvsignore file as well as the contents of my CVSIGNORE variable if I
>set it.

It describes the client view of the cvsignore list (compared to the
server view, which -s give you - it just happends that for
cvsignore/cvswrappers they're often identical - the different really
only matters for the protocols), but if you're in a sandbox at the
time it'll contact the server so it gets a complete view of the list.
If you run it outside the sandbox (without a CVSROOT set) it'll give
just the data available to it which is just the local settings.