[cvsnt] add file to an old branch

Shihab K B shihab_kb at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 25 11:59:38 BST 2004

Hi,

I am unable to add a file and I believe it has to do
with the control
file Tag. Does anyone know what is going on or how to
get around this?

I check out a directory (From Branch Version_2_2
sos/version_2_2) from a
branch and I attempt to add a file. I see the
following message:

E:\sos\version_2_2>cvs add goo.h
cvs server: cannot add file on non-branch tag rel6-0-0

But their is a branch called "Version_2_2". I could
modify any file in
this directory and could commit it. Also status shows
that this is a
branch:

E:\sos\version_2_2>cvs status alarm.h
File: alarm.h Status: Up-to-date

Working revision: 1.6.8.1
Repository revision: 1.6.8.1
Sticky Tag: Version_2_2 (branch: 1.6.8)
Sticky Date: (none)
Sticky Options: (none)

I can add file to some other dirctories of the same
branch.
And if I can add file some older branch.

What is the correct way to add a file to a branch?