[cvsnt] CVS & Branching Models

Daniel Lapolla ldlapolla at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 4 20:22:54 GMT 2004

Hi,

We are improving our development process. We have been using CVSNT over
the last two years. All of our development goes directly on the mainline.
At each milestone a branch is created and development keeps going on
mainline.

This process led us into several problems with QA, broken builds and
concurrent development.

We are considering the adoption of a branch-by-task model:
   - A new branch (across all files) is created for each Change Request,
based on the last stable milestone.
   - All the development for one CR goes on it's own branch.
   - After N cicles of testing and bugfixing the branch is scheduled to be
merged with it's baseline.

We are concerned with CVSNT performance, since our smaller project has
15,000 files and our development team throughput is around 150 change
requests per month.

Does anyone had a similar experience? Any thoughts on how CVSNT
performance is affected with so many branches being created?

Thanks in advance

Daniel