[cvsnt] Networking mystery....

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Mon Mar 8 21:22:30 GMT 2004

Tony & other networking people,
I would like some help on this, it totally mystifies me....

I have two PC:s, one a laptop and the other a desktop. On both these I
have checked out the same codebase from a CVSNT server accessible via
a PPTP tunnel through the Internet.
On the laptop my login name is not the same as an account on the
remote network domain so I have set cvsroot as
:sspi:bosse at cvsserver:/PC whereas on the desktop I am logged in with
an account that has a duplicate (name password) on the remote domain,
so the CVSROOT is in this case simply :sspi:cvsserver:/PC.
For the laptop I have then had to do a cvs login, but that was before
I checked out the code.

Now the strange problem:
On the laptop I have a number of modified files I want to commit, but
first I need to do an update. But the update results only in a long
(network timeout?) delay after which the update exits with code 1.
Curiously this only happens when I do an update that contains changed
files (either update on the directory or directly on a changed file).
If I do the same on a non-edited file the update runs through fully.
And I can easily do other things like graph the offending file in
WinCvs or do a status etc.

But cvs update on my changed files fails miserably.

(I have seen that the cvs server will actually create a temporary
directory during the time I am waiting for the update to complete,
after this it is deleted).

When I test the same on the desktop all operations work fine....

What should I be looking for? Of course the real edited files reside
on my laptop, not on the desktop.

CVSNT version on the server is 2.0.26 and the clients are 2.0.11

???

/Bo Berglund