[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT install caused error in MS SQLSERVER startup

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Mar 17 19:10:14 GMT 2004

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Al Williams wrote:
>
>> AFAIK WINS is used for all our LAN-based networking lookups (NT 4.0
>> network).  We do not run a local DNS - the only DNS that is used is
>> configured on the Internet gateway to lookup internet addresses.  I'll
>> have
>> to investigate further but I may leave reverse lookups off for now.
>

> There's a such thing as reverse WINS...  It's a long time since I've
> looked at
> it though so couldn't tell you how to configure it.

Sounds like he's just in a purely broadcast / WINS environment.  That
was the recommended path circa NT4 time, but MS started moving away from
WINS with Win2K (because it falls apart in large installations).

IMHO, ignore the DNS setting thing for now (leave it off).  Sounds like
you're in a small enough shop that you don't need to worry about knowing
the machine name associated with a particular lock anyway.

--
Glen Starrett