[cvsnt] Locking in CVS

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Thu Mar 25 10:36:33 GMT 2004

CVS = Concurrent Version System meaning it is designed for multiple developers
working concurrently on the same project source.

There are some not very strict ways of somehow simulate the locking behaviour
you are asking for. All of this is in the archives, go Googling and you will
find tons of discussions on pro-con of locking.

If you really want strict locking then look for another source control system
like PVCS, ClearCase or similar (and be prepared to shelve out $$$...)

The Lockserver has nothing whatever to do with this though. It is an internal
mechanism for CVSNT to handle temporary file locking while a cvs operation like
a commit is being processed. Only CVSNT server itself will access the lock
server. And a lock lives only a second or so.

/Bo