[cvsnt] Locking in CVS

Torsten Martinsen torsten at tiscali.dk
Fri Mar 26 18:38:08 GMT 2004

Bo Berglund wrote:

>CVS = Concurrent Version System meaning it is designed for multiple developers
>working concurrently on the same project source.
>
>There are some not very strict ways of somehow simulate the locking behaviour
>you are asking for. All of this is in the archives, go Googling and you will
>find tons of discussions on pro-con of locking.
>
>If you really want strict locking then look for another source control system
>like PVCS, ClearCase or similar (and be prepared to shelve out $$$...)

Or set the file's keyword expansion to "binary", set "watch on", and use
TortoiseCVS exclusively as the client.

Not foolproof, but works fine where I work (around 30 developers).

Then again, if you think you NEED exclusive locking for text files such
as source code you are probably mistaken.

-Torsten