[cvsnt] CVSNT Repository Root

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Thu May 6 16:25:48 BST 2004

Your configuration is bad, probably because you have not yet realized the confusing
use of the word CVSROOT....

This is how it should be set:
Valid Repository Roots = E:/CVS

>From the client:

Path = E:/CVS
CVSROOT = :pserver:mdb at 10.0.1.251:E:/CVS

Tthe "root" of a given repository on a CVS server *contains* a folder that
is named CVSROOT. This folder holds vital repository management files and
should never be accessed unless you are administrating the server...

When people speak of the CVSROOT setting in a client context they mean the
connection string used to specify where and how to connect. This has the
general form:

 :protocol:user at server:repository

where
  'protocol' could be a number of varying identifiers (pserver, sspi, ext and so on)
  'user@'    could be specified or not depending on the protocol selected before
  'server'   is the name or IP address of the CVS server
  'repository' is the name of the server side repository root, in your case E:/CVS

The repository actually starts at E:/CVS and inside of this is where the modules go.
At the beginning there is only one single module automatically created and this is
the CVSROOT module containing the administrative files. It should be used only by
CVS admins.

You can add new modules to this server by cvs import for example, in this case you
specify a path to the new module relative to the root of the repository, E:/CVS,
not relative to the adminstrative module CVSROOT!!!

Please retry.

Bo