[cvsnt] Re: Cannot connect to lock server

Brett Feddersen cvsnt at cvsnt.org
Fri May 7 02:54:22 BST 2004

Hello Magnus,

I had the same problem with an XP-Pro box.  XP-Home networking is only
crippled when it come to joining domains.  I think the problem is with the
new version of CVSNT.  It just does not seem to resolve the address
correctly. To correct it just type in the localhost address (127.0.0.1) in
the control panel applet.  I think the problem is that CVSNT is not IPv6
compatible.  Yes, XP supports IPv6 stacks.  Why does using 127.0.0.1 work?
Because the spec for getaddrinfo states that an input argument in dot
notation will always return IPv4 addresses even on a IPv6 system.  The name
"localhost" will return an IPv6 address on IPv6 systems.  I have not looked
at the code so I am not sure at all if what I said is true, but I am
curious.

Brett

"Magnus McElroy" <foo at you.com> wrote in message
news:c76e0s$qb1$1 at paris.nodomain.org...
> Hello, group:
>
> I'm trying to set up a CVS server and repository. The computers will all
be
> Windows-based, including the server. It's running Win XP Home. The
computers
> in question are able to connect to each other through the LAN; it's not a
> physical problem.
>
> I am able to use CVSNT to create a respository and access on my local
> machine. Yes, I know that I'm strongly discouraged from doing this, but I
> don't have the resources to get a new server just for the respository. I
am
> unable to use a remote machine to check out anything. I get the errors:
>
> cvs server: Error connecting to localhost: No such host is known.
> cvs [server aborted]: Couldn't connect to lock server.
>
> The errors are identical on WinCVS and Tortoise CVS.Both the CVSNT and
CVSNT