[cvsnt] Re: Cannot connect to lock server

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri May 7 12:41:22 BST 2004

On Thu, 6 May 2004 20:54:22 -0500, "Brett Feddersen" <cvsnt at cvsnt.org>
wrote:

>Hello Magnus,
>
>I had the same problem with an XP-Pro box.  XP-Home networking is only
>crippled when it come to joining domains.  I think the problem is with the
>new version of CVSNT.  It just does not seem to resolve the address
>correctly. To correct it just type in the localhost address (127.0.0.1) in
>the control panel applet.  I think the problem is that CVSNT is not IPv6
>compatible.  Yes, XP supports IPv6 stacks.  Why does using 127.0.0.1 work?

CVSNT has been IPV6 compatible since long before is was properly
supported in Windows....  I used to run an ipv6 version of the
cvsnt.org repository for a while.

XP isn't ipv6 compatible by default (you have to install it using the
network control panel) but loopback is loopback (even if you call it
::1 instead) and it won't affect the behaviour either way anyway.

 'localhost' is 127.0.0.1 always (the ipv6 one is called
'ip6-localhost' in case you were wondering) and should be pretty much
hardcoded to return that...  in XP Pro and above it's in the
drivers/etc/hosts file in the standard distribution.

CVSNT actually uses 127.0.0.1 directly unless you override it, so
setting 'localhost' in the control panel on XP home isn't a good idea
without first fixing the broken hosts file.