[cvsnt] Re: Modules Question

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Nov 2 20:49:36 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 01:08:57 -0500, "Shawn Haigh"
<shaigh at immersion.com> wrote:

>I am on the Fence on this one.  I am able to get the results I want with
>the native modules file but the caveat is when I update, there is
>undesired recursive behaviour in any configured ampersand module. I
>assume I am getting the "unwanted interaction with the update command"
>Tony mentions in the help file:
>http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/modules2.html
>
>After a few hours of hacking, and several server crashes later I have
>given up... is there anyone out there who can shed some light on my
>dilemma... :)
>
>I think what I want to achieve is quite straight forward:
>
>Let's say I have two modules;
>
>ThirdPartyCode
>-Dir1
>-Dir2
>-Dir3
>
>MyProject
>-dir1
>
>When I checkout MyProject I want to include ThirdPartyCode/Dir1 and
>ThirdPartyCode/Dir2 _excluding_ ThirdPartyCode/Dir3
>
>INTO
>
>Myproject/Dir1/
>
>I can do this in a jiffy using the modules file but when I go to update
>MyProject, ThirdpartyCode/Dir3 suddenly appears under Myproject/Dir1/
>
>I guess I have to convert to the modules2, this I don't mind if it
>offers better functionality, however I can't seem to get anywhere with
>the documentation currently available.
>
>Can anyone give me a hand?

I think you might have a slight problem here:
MyProject
- dir1
+
ThirdPartyCode/Dir1
into
MyProject/Dir1

won't work in Windows because the operating system is not case
sensitive so the folders MyProject/dir1 and MyProject/Dir1 are one and
the same, which makes it impossible (I think) for CVS to handle the
files.
The location from which files in a given folder come is recorded in
CVS/Root and CVS/Repository when taken together.
But in your example you want files from two different repository
folders to come together into one and the same sandbox folder.
I don't think this can be done at all...

What you need to do is place the ThirdParty files into a different
sandbox folder so that you get for example:
MyProject
- dir1
- TPCDir1

And I don't think modules2 will help here either...

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)