[cvsnt] VSS to CVS

John Cole john.cole at uai.com
Fri Nov 5 19:51:14 GMT 2004

Cristane,
  I used the vss2cvs.pl script.  There is a link at
http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/VssToCvs

  The nice thing about this script was that it allows you to run over and
over again.  This allowed us to import everything from VSS to CVS and then
resync from VSS to CVS and use CVS as a read only (for those projects in
VSS) system while we ported our build scripts and utils over.

  We actually ran the script nightly for 7 months :-) and each night it
would bring CVS up to date with VSS.  When we had everyone and all the
machines ready, we turned off the nightly import and turned off the VSS
machine (it hasn't been used since).  Everyone got a new sandbox and we were
off and running.

  We were able to get 4 years worth of history into CVS and keep it in sync.
I was also able to run speed comparisons (CVS blows VSS into the weeds btw)
and use the CVS server as a live backup during the transition (I also
started offsite backups of the CVS server since the CVS repository
compressed into 1/5th the space VSS did).

  During training we were able to get sandboxes that were up to date as of
the nightly sync.

  Our only problem was a corrupt file in VSS that could not be repaired that
kept crashing the script.  I put a if statement in the perl script to ignore
that file and I imported it by hand.

John Cole