[cvsnt] Error: cvs checkout: Cannot rename file CVS/Entries on Windows 2003

Williams, Tim WilliamsTim at PRAIntl.com
Fri Nov 5 20:18:11 GMT 2004

Hi folks,

  Sorry for the cross posting - I have a similar topic on
tortoisecvs-users list, but I want to make sure I cover all the bases
and I'm running out of things to try.

 SETUP
   CVS Repository server on Windows 2000 Server running CVSNT 2.0.58d
(previously running 2.0.5 with same problem described below)
   CVS on Windows XP client: 2.0.51d (supplied with TCVS 1.8.4 - same
problem seen with TCVS 1.8.0)
   Using SSPI protocol

 PROBLEM
   When logged in to  a Windows 2003 Terminal Server running cvsnt
2.0.51d, I get the following error when attempting to checkout a module
to a mapped network drive:

> cvs [checkout aborted] : cannot rename the file CVS/Entries.  Backup
to CVS/Entries: File Exists

I check the sandbox after this error and find the top level folder of
the module and the CVS folder. Within the CVS folder, the Entries file
is marked "read only".

  If I execute the same checkout command on a Windows 2000 Terminal
Server, it successfully completes. I can also checkout to a local drive
on a Windows 2003 Terminal Server - just not to a mapped network drive
or network location using TCVS (for details I will not go into here, our
setup requires checkout to a network location).  I have successfully
used previous version of CVSNT (2.0.4) on Windows 2003 Terminal Server
to checkout to a network location.

I have tested the enabling of "Impersonate Client After Authentication"
on the Win2003 TS, but that did not help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a user base of over 100
that now depends on this system.

Thank you in advance,

Tim

SAS Systems Administrator