[cvsnt] Re: Stupid error message from CVSNT...

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sun Nov 7 19:57:43 GMT 2004

Bo Berglund wrote:
> The error message "No connection could be made because the target
> machine actively refused it." is really both misleading and stupid.
> Could it not be changed to something more descriptive?

It's the system error message.  It tells you everything that you need to
know.  The wording is defined by MS, and I'm not inclined to change it -
typing the message into google is more than enough to get an explanation
for it.

> I did the following test today:
> 1) I did not open the VPN tunnel to the network where the CVSNT server
> is located before ding an update. Thus the machine is not even
> reachable.
> Result: Error with the message above.
> Should have been: "CVS server not accessible, check network
> connections"
>
> 2) I shut down the CVSNT service on a local CVSNT server and then
> tried updating a sandbox from that server. In this case noone is
> listening to port 2401 but the server is accessible.
> Result: Error with the same message.
> Should have been: "CVS service on <servername> at port 2401 not
> accessible, check server state."

How do you propose telling the difference between these cases?  Even the
system doesn't know - that's why it uses the same message.  Something
refused the connection - that could be a VPN, Firewall, Proxy, Wrong
machine, Wrong port, anything.  It's imposssible to tell.

If the machine is really unreachable you'll actually get either:

"A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host."
or
"A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not
properly respond after a period of time"

however CVSNT has no control over when these messages can/should appear.