[cvsnt] Re: Why edit -x?

Jerzy Kaczorowski jerzyk at wndtabs.com
Mon Oct 4 23:37:27 BST 2004

Tony,

Exclusive locks are like cancer - they spread and reach the point of no
return very quickly because they penalise anybody trying to work in a
concurent way.

After not being able to complete their work because of somebody's locks
people learn to reserve the files they want to work with (and a couple extra
just in case they need them later). There is no easy way out of that vicious
circle. It just becomes a rutine and reduces version control system to a
mere backup system.

In the case of exclusive edit there is a simple remedy to the above
scenario: allow to override the lock. It doesn't have to be simple but it
should not involve external intervention (admin override is not an option,
most admins doesn't want to touch things like that).

It would not be the first time - the old admin locks (admin -l) allowed
anybody to unlock the file by giving revision explicitly (admin -urev).
Majority of users, and most of those using locks, didn't realize that and
locked themself happily to death, yet it allowed a smart person to unlock
the files and complete their job in concurent fashion shall the need arise.

Perhaps a similiar approach can be applied to a new option?

Best Regards,
Jerzy