[cvsnt] Renaming History

Johannes Kilian jok at vitronic.de
Tue Oct 12 09:19:55 BST 2004

Hi,

I'm currently testing the rename functionality and got the following
question:

I havedone the following steps:
* added a file "test1.c" to my Module and
* created a branch "branch01" on the complete module
* updated my checked-out module to "branch01"
* renamed the fiile with "cvs rename test1.c test2.c" (works fine). The
file is renamed locally - no need to commit (Why??)
* updated my checked-out module to the TRUNK again ("reset sticky tags")

Result:
The former file "test1.c" has the name "test2.c" on the TRUNK too.

This doesn't seem to make sense to me: if I want to go back to a
previous tagged version of my module the renamed file should be checked
out with the filename he had in this version. Otherwise I will not be
able to recompile my tagged module using for example a Makefile, which
still contains the "original" filename (Makefile of the tagged version).

Is there a place in ther repository where the renaming history is
recorded? Examining the CVSRoot-directory in the repository, I can't
find any traces of the renaming process ...: the history of the renaming
process seems to be missing.

I'm using CVSNT 2.0.58a on WinNT4.0 SP6

Johannes