[cvsnt] Impact of cvsroot/config SystemAuth- setting when using sspi (and not pserver) to administer CVS

BERTIN Philippe philippe.bertin at cnh.com
Wed Oct 13 09:03:37 BST 2004

'Llo All,

After some quests for information on how to administer CVS (on CVSNT), it is still unclear to me how to administer CVS using the sspi- protocol. I tried on the cvsgui newsgroup, but after a hint from someone, I try my same question here.
I understand that in cvsroot/config, there is a setting "SystemAuth" that should be set to no, in order to have cvsroot/admin be taken into account for determining who can administer CVS. But elsewhere, I see that cvsroot/admin is only considered when using pserver as the protocol. So I'd tend to think that I should set SystemAuth to yes. But then I don't know how to add an adminstrator to CVSNT ...

This altogether makes it still unclear to me how I can administer CVS using sspi, because that is the protocol I want to use in the long run. I could eventually make a pserver entry to be able to administer CVS using the pserver- protocol, but I would like to disable the pserver- protocol completely (for security purposes, I'd like to delete pserver_protocol.dll).

Another thing (not on the subject line, though) is not 100% clear: the open-source cvs- daemon that is generally delivered with Linux systems (e.g. with SuSE), is that CVSNT ? Or what is the relation between these 2 (i.e. between the open-source cvs daemon and CVSNT) ?

Kind regards,

PhB.