[cvsnt] Re: Superfluous Carriage returns in emacs

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Oct 18 20:08:47 BST 2004

Siegfried Heintze wrote:
> Good morning!
>
> I'm using cvsnt with emacs in many source code files. Only one of them
> (convex.pl) exhibits a peculiar problem with superfluous carriage returns.
> Everytime I check it in, I have to perform a global search and replace to
> remove the superfluous carriage return character at the end of each line.
>
> I've inserted $Log$ in all the files. The only difference between convex.pl
> and other files is that convex.pl had a multi-line message (created with the
> -m switch) that was displayed in the file as a result of the $Log$.
> Initially only this message had the superfluous carriage returns but now,
> the entire file has a superfluous carriage return at the end of each line.
>
> Can I tell cvsnt not to put this carriage return character at the end of
> each line?

cvsnt always checks out text files with proper Windows CR/LF endings.
(This is why you shouldn't ever use networked sandboxes to Unix
machines, btw. because unix CVSNT won't remove the CR/LF pair before
committing the files and you're really screw up your repository).

This is correct behaviour for any tool based on Windows - it sounds like
your editor is only designed to run on Unix line endings (which sounds
like a bug to me).

You can force Unix line endings on a file using -kL, which will checkout
with Unix only on that file.