[cvsnt] Stop cvsnt 'crash dump' dialog?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Oct 27 19:07:29 BST 2004

John Cole wrote:
> Tony,
>   Have you considered a feature like the Mozilla Talkback agent or something
> even simpler?  Even just a simple html post with the version to a web server
> whenever a crash is encountered would provide you with a lot of information.

That's pretty much what the dialog is intended for.  The same problems
exist though - cvsnt servers tend to reside within secure intranets and
making outside connections isn't something they should be doing.
Sending the dump via HTTP Post would be nice if I could rig it (within
the constraints that you can't do a lot after a crash).  Would probably
need a custom apache module though (unless there's some way of
configuring it properly).

>   Your very confident that crashes are rare (and I have to admit that with
> my experience with CVSNT, your probably right ;-).  I know that while I've
> only sent you one crash dump (about a year ago), I've had dozens of crashes
> of CVSNT, most of those with a single version.

I regularly audit the code as I'm going through it, so catch potential
problems before they're noticed.  90% of the problems are in old code
(the modules code and the recursion processor) that are flaky to begin
with...  they're so complex it's not always easy to tell what can go
wrong until it actually happens.

>   I tend to read this mailing list very closely, to determine when to
> upgrade to a new version.  I'm still on 41a because of the problems others
> have encountered with newer versions.  I'd like to upgrade soon, because
> ToroiseCVS is now using later versions, and I feel better with TortoiseCVS
> and CVSNT in sync :-)

51d is pretty good.  2.0.38c is fine if you don't encounter the rename
problem (I suspect most people don't).

>   I don't think you need to remove the crash dump dialog, because it is
> rare, but it would be nice to have another notification option.

I agree.