[cvsnt] Re: problem with cvsnt and wincvs, cannot acess the repository on server

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Oct 30 00:30:00 BST 2004

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:38:45 -0400, rashmi <rashmi at id-metrics.com>
wrote:

>Hello,
>

>I have installed cvsnt on windows 2000 server.
>The installation goes through fine.
>I have set the cvsroot using the command
>
>set cvsroot=:sspi:10.0.0.86:/cvsrepo/test

Fine, this root means thatyou are *not* supposed to do a cvs login!

>This goes through but when i type the following on the command prompt:
>cvs passwd -a administrator
>It gives error saying cvs is not a recognisable command or a batch file.

Which means that you don't have cvs on your path and so you cannot
invoke the cvs command from the command prompt.
During CVSNT install the path is modified to include cvs, so you might
want to check this and possibly reboot your PC (since the system path
variable changes often do not become available until after a restart).

>It does not create any user i.e the passwd file in the CVSROOT folder.

Of couyrse, since you were not able to execute the command! What did
you expect?

>So when I use wincvs to connect to the server it gives me a message
WinCvs? This is the CVSNT list.....

> cvs [login aborted]: connect to 10.0.0.86:2401 failed: No connection could
> be made because the target machine actively refused it.
This means that the service is not running on the server or that a
firewall either on the server or the client workstation blocks network
communications on TCP port 2401

>Could someone please help me.
>
>I am stuck on this.
>
>Also why does it not let me run cvs passwd -a administrator command.

Since you cannot even issue the cvs command....

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)