[cvsnt] Starting out with CVS,

WestSide xpurplekushx at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 30 04:58:11 BST 2004

Hi,

I wanted to know.. I have been trying to get my cvs server setup correctly
but seem to run into problems.  Luckily I found this mailing list.. so
hopefully someone can help me out..

My setup is below...

I am using Windows 2000 Server edition.
I am using CVSNT
I am using tortiose (latest release) for the clients (win xp pro)

I created two folders on my windows 2000 server:

c:\cvsrepo
c:\cvstemp

I understand this is my repository (cvsrepo).

My website and the files within the site are located in:

c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\mysite

The first time I set it up.. I was able to commit and update through
tortiose, but since IIS was pointing to: c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\mysite  we never
saw the changes on the site.  We went to www.mysite.com and never saw the
updated changes as the files that were modified seemed to be stored in
c:\cvsrepo

When I tried to commit my changes through tortiose, it stuck all the files
in c:\cvsrepo

How can I keep my website files in: c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\mysite like they are
normally and have changes reflected

I am confused on the way this is done, when I commit my changes from my
local machine to the cvs server, do the files I modifed get posted into my
webroot or into the repository (c:\cvsrepo)

If they do go to c:\cvsrepo how can my website see the repository?  I think
I am asking this wrong or not phrasing it right.. but hopefully someone can
steer me straight.

Thanks...

-Westside