[cvsnt] Re: Problems updating when modules differ only in case (2.0.51d)

Lionello Lunesu lionello.lunesu at crystalinter.remove.com
Fri Sep 3 11:43:16 BST 2004

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your reply (and cvsnt too by the way :-S),

> This simply cannot work if there are Windows clients - CVS tries to
> preserve case but people *will* rename directories, and directories in CVS
> aren't versioned in the same way as files.

In this case, it can work, and it should. Since one module is empty and
"prune empty directories" was specified.

I can understand the wrong casing of the folder on the client machine. That
should not even be a problem. But how did the empty module name end up in
the cvs Entries file? A check-out for that exact module would result in
nothing being done, since it's empty.

For some reason the module name being sent to the server differed from the
one being stored on the client!? "cvs checkout XXXX" did nothing, since that
module was empty, "cvs checkout xxxx" sent the actual files, but the cvs
client still wrote "XXXX" in the Entries file?

> It's up to the admin of the sourceforge project to remove the bogus
> module, or simply accept he will have no contributors running Windows
> machines (or OSX machines, as they are case insensitive too).

I agree, and I've already posted this as a bug at the sourceforge project in
question.
(Interestingly, this project is not even multi-platform, it's just for
Windows)

Lionello.