[cvsnt] Re: Problems updating when modules differ only in case (2.0.51d)

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Sep 3 12:25:09 BST 2004

Lionello Lunesu wrote:
> I can understand the wrong casing of the folder on the client machine. That
> should not even be a problem. But how did the empty module name end up in
> the cvs Entries file? A check-out for that exact module would result in
> nothing being done, since it's empty.
>
> For some reason the module name being sent to the server differed from the
> one being stored on the client!? "cvs checkout XXXX" did nothing, since that
> module was empty, "cvs checkout xxxx" sent the actual files, but the cvs
> client still wrote "XXXX" in the Entries file?

Windows has the habit of changing things to all caps sometimes (I think
it's for 8.3 filename compatibility) but I've not seen it happen with CVS.

The important file is the CVS/Repository which defines what gets
downloaded.  That's sent by the server to the client (as are the
CVS/Entries lines).

Some versions of CVS (<1.12 IIRC) will try case insensitive matches if
the client is case insensitive, which I guess could cause the wrong
module to be checked out, although I've not heard of it happening.