RCS Keyword Conflicts During Merge (was RE: [cvsnt] Re: minor Bug in update in Build 1927)

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Apr 6 18:13:18 BST 2005

David Hauck wrote:
> anyways. I've often wondered if CVS merge could be optimized somehow in this
> regard to eliminate/ignore RCS keyword conflicts; they're a pain, in my
> mind, to deal with currently.

cvs does try to minimise this, and is reasonably successful a lot of the
time.  There are some keywords like $Log$, which simply can't be done
automatically though.

If you're 3-way merging one of the files (the modified file from the
user) is going to have the keywords in whatever you do, so it's nearly
impossible to handle that.  A branch merge to a clean sandbox can avoid
a lot of conflists though.