[cvsnt] Wrong merge command screws up val-tags

Thomas Keller me at thomaskeller.biz
Wed Apr 20 22:49:04 BST 2005

Hello there!

A user of our cvsnt 2.0.58d Linux setup recently made his first experiences
with branching and merging. That said he made a common mistake while trying
to get changes from HEAD into his branch. Instead of triggering

cvs update -j HEAD

on his branch he did
	cvs "-q" "update" "-j" "his_branch" "-j" "HEAD" "-d"
and
	cvs "-q" "update" "-j" "" "-j" "HEAD" "-d"
through TortoiseCVS.

Now, I dunno how cvsnt could calculate "backward differences" for the first
case nor what exactly is done in the 2nd case, the thing is that after
executing these both statements above two new weird entries in
CVSROOT/val-tags popup generating the error

	cvs server: duplicate key found for `y'

for any commit. val-tags looks like this:

[...]
v1-smarty y	# the correct branch
y smarty		# 1st weird entry
 y			# 2nd weird entry
[...]

If I remove both weird entries by hand cvs works again. What can I do that
stuff like this does not happen in the future?
Is it reasonable that the first option "-j" is allowed to be empty ("") or is
that a problem of Tortoise quoting too much?

Thanks for your response,
Thomas.

--
Registered Linux User #369861