[cvsnt] Re: Loosing Unix Permissions after tagging file!

Andrew Gaganov agaganov at openwaygroup.com
Fri Aug 5 08:10:37 BST 2005

Hi!

> Andrew Gaganov wrote:
>
> > Today, we simply tag this file, and it loose Executable
> attribute in
> > CVS repository, and when we checkout it, it's not executable.
>
> Tagging doesn't create or modify revisions, so it is not the tag that
> did anything.
>
> Did someone commit from Windows?

I think I understand what happened!

I had solaris CVS server with CVS 1.11.2.

It stores unix permissions in real unix permissions of CVS file inside CVS
repository.
F.e.
-r-xr-xr-x    1 cvs      cvs          2293 Aug  4 15:53 buildall,v

We migrate to CVSNT, and tag this file! It became to:
-r--r--r--    1 cvs      cvs          3194 Aug  5 10:59 buildall,v

When I commit executable from linux, I discovered that CVSNT stores unix
permissions inside CVS repository file:

----------
permissions     775;
----------

and now everything works fine.

Commit from windows (2.0.51d) set permissions to 777 (it also OK).

So, as I understand, we should recommit all unix executable files from unix,
and all will be OK.

Am I right ?

TIA!

-------