[cvsnt] In an authentication pickle

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Sun Aug 7 14:04:50 BST 2005

Joelle Tegwen wrote:
[snip]
> Yeah, we're a tiny department at the U of MN. It never occurred to me
> that we should not use a secure protocol. All the sites I read just said
> don't use them. *shrugs* I'm also thinking that these are all good
> things for me to learn how to do.

It depends on the situation. If you are in a trusted environment, then why
bother with unnecessary layers of security. On the other hand, if you're
storing confidential/sensitive information in your cvs repository and
you're surrounded by a bunch of untrustworthy people, then security is a
bit more important.

> The reason I wasn't using the earlier build was that it said it was
> still in Alpha testing and one of my mac users (who just happens to be
> my boss) is mostly non-technical, so a major software glitch would be a
> problem. I asked on the WinCVS list if it was stable but only got
> it seemed to me)

> If someone can vouch for it not crashing on my boss, then I'll have her
> use that. :)

The next obvious thing to ask is: do you need a GUI for cvs... can you
(and/or your boss) live with cvs from the command line? If all you are
using it (cvs) for is to maintain your website files, you may find its
easier to do things from the command line (since you would probably just be
committing changes, and very occasionally retrieving past versions; YMMY.)

One thing you may want to look at is something that integrates cvs with
Dreamweaver... CVS for Dreamweaver, by GraFX Software
(possibly http://www.grafxsoftware.com, but it looks like they have
disappeared).

--
David Somers