[cvsnt] Metadata Directory Compatibility?

Weiss, Adam BGI SF Adam.Weiss at barclaysglobal.com
Tue Aug 9 04:43:23 BST 2005

Hey Folks,

I've been tasked with upgrading a bunch of cvs clients on Win32.  The
old version we ran was cvs 1.11 (not CVSNT), the new version we want to
run is CVSNT 2.0.51d.  We've been hit with a permission denied error
when people attempt to use CVSNT 2.0.51d to update a sandbox that was
created with cvs 1.11.

I have been able to resolve that problem by removing the readonly flags
from all the files.  (They were checked out with CVSREAD=1)  It's
strange that cvs 1.11 was able to understand this and CVSNT was not
(regardless of CVSREAD being set)- and this is what led me start to
worry a bit about sandbox compatibility between CVSNT 2 and cvs 1.11.

I have a hunch that CVSNT is more than just slightly different than cvs
1.11.  I noticed that CVSNT does create some extra files in the CVS
directories that don't appear under cvs 1.11 (Entries.Extra,
Entries.Old)  Are we going to run into any problems if we have users use
CVSNT 2.0.51d on sandboxes that were checked out with cvs 1.11?  Is that
supposed to work?  Can you mix and match clients?  Ideally I'd prefer if
I could get all our users to just do a fresh checkout once they're
upgraded, but I've been told that in some cases that is not practical.
If I forego that step, am I setting myself up for a migraine in a few
weeks?

Thanks in advance,

--adam