[cvsnt] HEAD version not always pointg to latest version

Wed Aug 24 13:17:35 BST 2005

Hello,

in the last days we quite often encounter the problem that the HEAD
version of the file and the version that was checked in last is not
the same. I.e. each of the following
 - cvs update -A
 - cvs update -r HEAD
 - just cvs update on a checked out copy without sticky tag
does not deliver the latest version of the file but the version before
that, even when the local copy of the file was identical to the latest
version before hand.

Example (the most extreme case):

1) I have a copy of version 1.26 (which is the latest version) in my
working directory.
2) I modify the file.
3) I commit the file.
4) I do "cvs update"
5) My file is reverted to version 1.26, although "cvs log" shows me
that my commit was successfull and version 1.27 exists.

I can get version 1.27 with "cvs update -r 1.27" or, if i placed a tag
"TAG" as step 4.5, by "cvs update -r TAG", but update to HEAD always
reverts it to 1.26.

Restarting the CVS server fixes the problem.
Also, if you wait long enough and repeat the update, you will get the
latest version as expected.

Is this a known behaviour in certain circumstances?

It happens just since last week, but several times a day, therefore we
guess that we may have reached a limit somehow.

We have 7 repositories with altogether with > 600000 files and about 7
GB on a Win2003 Server.

$ cvs version
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.58d (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.58d (client/server)

I know that this server version is already considered old, but I would
not like to change the otherwise running system (with some
workarounds...) when I am not sure that this resolves the issue.

Best regards
 Tobias